FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Subway from airport in Mexico City?
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:31 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I am a onetime native who regularly visits family in Mexico, D. F. - and I recommend "don't do it." Thera re taxis and shared taxis (vans) for which you purchase tickets at the kiosks. Do not at all use a pirate taxi or accept an offer from a shill.

And as others have said, in the city do not use a green VW taxi - "Gracias, no quiero un perico" makes you seem more familiar with a city. (Thanks, I don't want a parrot - that's what we call the green "vochos.")

BTW, I think Bogotá has cleaned up its act more than la ciudad de México; sad, but true. Just keep alert and ask for local knowledge before you do anything.

If you frequent tourist venues or ride public transport a lot: a decoy wallet isn't bad some pesos in small bills, and some of the sample credit cards that come with the unsolicited credit card advos you get in the mail will fill one up nicely; don't wear upscale clothes or accessories, refrain from displays of wealth (e.g. fancy cameras,) act like you know where you are going and are confident. (Pop into a store or shop to look at your map.) Don't fight if you are robbed - robbers are desperate, you merely lose some material possessions as opposed to maybe get stabbed.

Obviously, if you have a company limo fetching you, you can ignore this information.

Originally Posted by ORDinaryGuy
I'm going to Mexico City for a few days next week and wonder if it's safe to take the subway from the airport into the city? All the guidebooks I read seem to say don't do it, but was wondering if it's that big a deal? I'll be arriving around noon and heading to zona rosa without much luggage.