FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consulting Firm's Travel Policies And Perks
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:17 am
james318

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jmpeace501
I agree with mecabq. A lot just depends on the client. A lot also depends on what type of consulting (Strat consulting firms being biggest spenders overall).

Deloitte has a pretty good travel/expense policy. And of course, PWC, Bain, Boston, EY, and McKinsey as well.

Regards,
Mike
I work for one of the above listed firms (but privacy concerns keep me from naming it specifically on a public forum. If you guess it, please don't post it here but feel free to PM me.)

I am not a consultant. But the basic rules are:

1. Stay in a hotel close to where you need to be, typically 4 star hotels, specifically if you don't have a rental car. (I've had to stay in the occasional Ritz-Carlton)

2. Coach class airfare at the lowest fare class, UNLESS you are flying international on a 7 hour + flight, in which case you book business class.

3. Park in a safe, conveniant place at the airport. No need to save the $5 and park at an off-site lot.

4. Take the safest and / or most cost effective travel to your hotel. Like for Chicago, I usually take the train in from MDW UNLESS I land at night, in which case I take a cab. From LGA in NYC, I take a car service.

5. When traveling WITH the client, travel as they do. If they are staying in a two star hotel, you do. If they are flying first class, you fly coach. Unless they state it.

6. Decent meal policy, around $35 a day, unless you are a manager then it is actual cost. I've NEVER had an issue though, and I am not a manager. They recognize that things cost more sometimes.

7. Frequent flyer and hotel points are all mine.

8. Ability to expense snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, newspapers, tips, (all within reason...) We used to get a set amount to cover it all.