FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Subway from airport in Mexico City?
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:09 pm
Alexzander

Programs: Starwood, United, AAdvantage, Delta
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I just last year started the first of a series of visits to M.C. after about 2 decades, so maybe things have changed and I'm naive.
What dangers have you experienced?
Is there relatively high incidents of crimes against tourists in Mexico City vs. elsewhere in the world? Is this more common along subway lines?
I am planning to return to Mexico City this spring. Although I do use what I consider common sense safety, I am interested in learning others' experiences with dangers in the City before my 2nd trip.
Yes, things have changed in the interim, and not for the better. Outside of Bogata Columbia, Mexico City has the highest abduction / kidnapping rate in all of Central and South America. In the months I worked there in 2002, every single native I met had a horror story of kidnapping and violence to tell.

One of the taxi drivers that took me around on tour said that the city has deeply degraded in the prior 10 years. The real issue is that criminals troll for tourists, and mark them as targets. The subway is just a bit too open to really be safe, and although crowds will help, you could be marked for a target. Having said that, some folks can blend in so well, no one would think of them as a target. But if you have bags, its going to be very hard to completely blend in. Thus the airport taxis.

Ask the hotel for guidance on this. They don't want you to get into trouble, and are hugely helpful.

It is sad really. The city has a lot of very exciting things to offer, but I was nearly mugged twice in a few months of just walking around. Only Columbia and Johannesburg struck me as more unsafe places to be. I tried to blend in, but could tell I was not entirely successful.