FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MUC passport control insisted on seeing my passport
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:55 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
MUC passport control insisted on seeing my passport

OK, I know the title sounds a bit strange, and further I'm not sure if this is the right place to post since it's not really LH-related, but I thought here's the highest density of German flyers, and MUC is a major LH hub. Mods, please feel free to move to somewhere more appropriate.

Anyway, usually I only show my government ID (German Personalausweis) when passing the passport control. However, this time I got asked where I was flying to and consequently told I would have to show them my passport. Upon my inquiry as to why they wanted to see my passport the young officer told me it's because he had to check whether my credentials are all right to enter the foreign country avoiding that I'll be sent back immediately on arrival. I gave him my passport and mentioned that that's not his job but the responsibility of the airline.

My question is whether my understanding is correct in that the German passport control has to let me pass with a valid Personalausweis only, or whether they can insist on seeing my passport which would allow them to check all my stamps. Another question is whether I have to tell them where I'm flying to in the first place since that is none of the government's business. Should I complain somewhere to avoid erosion of our right of free movement?

Cheers,

HTB.