FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:00 pm
drabics

Programs: BA Silver
Starwood Meridien Moscow -- The National (great but grrrrr… and mooning the Kremlin)

Issues and facts:

Issue #1
Recent 4 night stay in Moscow; booked/confirmed on Starwood at $350+ vat per day (I have confirmation, etc.) with Kremlin view -- arrived and asked for comp upgrade for AMEX Plat -- given nice room with Kremlin view (but essentially the same as promised for $350). At checkout the room was billed at $402+vat per day (for purposes of clarity I am doing the Ruble conversions and the difference between booking and stay is minimal). So I was essentially overbilled more than $200+ for the room. At checkout, I questioned the amount but the desk would only say that it was the "Appropriate" rate. I did not realize the full overbill until we got to BA lounge.

Issue #2
The room was hot… really unbelievably hot. We kept the inner of the double windows open in hopes for a draft but it was miserable. It was not possible to open the other window. We had the radiator turned off (or to minimum) -- and checked (and rechecked).
Alas, the AC does not work this time of year. Daily complaints to the desk received sympathy and visits to check radiator and AC -- but no relief or movement to another room (I requested twice). I asked for a fan and was told. "Only one in Hotel and it is being used by another room!"

I enjoyed being naked in the room with my wife for five days (the only way to make it tolerable_ -- but it was still miserable and did put a damper on guests coming up for talks (defeating the purpose of having a room with a sitting area).

I really can't understate how how it was -- dripping sweat, sleeplessness, etc. My wife had a new robe from Paris and it bled color onto the sweat dampened sheets.

Other than these two issues the hotel is wonderful. The staff is intelligent, courteous, and friendly. You can see that they want to do customer service right -- it just might take a few more years to get there (e.g. someone should have BOUGHT a fan -- and we tried but could not find one) or to catch up with the service at the Europa in St. Petersburg

On the other hand, I suppose I am one of the few to "moon" the Kremlin over a five day period and live to tell about it (although, as we stay at the Starwood Park Lane in London, I'll stay on my toes) -- and I'm sure that somewhere on Kremlin CCTV security cameras there are pictures of an aging American writer/film director splayed Garfield-like against the glass of a fourth floor window of the National in futile attempt to keep cool.

So… what to do? As above, the hotel says the charge is "appropriate". Are these Starwood issues or should I simply dispute the charge with AMEX?

We always use Starwood -- both for us and crew -- and we won’t change regardless. I've never asked for points comp but think #2 above really does merit at least 10,000 points (a nights stay in London for example).

Off base? ... or what is the best way to present my case?

Cheers,
drabics