FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lap Children and First Class RANT!
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:15 pm
sbtinme

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
a little communication is worth gold

In my experience, I've been very pleased with the few times very small children or infants have been in F. I suppose I've been outrageously lucky, because they've always been well behaved or asleep for the vast majority of the time.

However, there was one time out to CLT when the last folks to get on the plane were two young parents with a small infant in their arms. They took their seats in 1AC, and I became very annoyed at what looked like might be a flight full of screaming and crying.

Once they got settled and the mother got the baby to stop screaming, she passed the baby off to the dad and stood up to store the last of their carryons. She then looked at all the pax in F in the eyes and advised us that they were keenly aware of what we were all thinking (and fearing) and she assurred us all that once the plane was airborne, we'd not hear another peep from the child. She was absolutely correct! Turns out she and her husband flew lots for work and were both US1s.

Anyway, the moral of this rambling diatribe is to point out, again, the value of communication with those around you when situations become less than perfect. It goes a long way. Her communication to each of us caused us all to give her instant empathy (and hope for a quiet flight!).