FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bringing alcohol into India?
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:15 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yosithezet
My experience is that as of 3 months or so ago every time I arrive in BOM from abroad my checked and carryon luggage is x-rayed. Is this not the case at DEL?
DEL is hit or miss in terms of this for carry-ons. [Checked luggage is generally screened on arrival in the back right by the baggage belts, immediately before the bags come into public view. (More often than not they ignore most things in regards to checked luggage at DEL; less so at BOM.)]

It used to be rarely the case that they'd barely ask for carry-ons to be screened on arrival into DEL from abroad, then it increased, then it scaled back and now it's sort of back again. There's no consistency so far -- certainly far less than in BOM -- except perhaps: 1) that the carry-on baggage screening, when done, is done after immigration is completed and upon entering the baggage claim hall; and 2) that it is usually only done to the extent that a line does not occur there too; and 3) that plenty of people get around having all their carry-ons screened on arrival in DEL.

BOM is more consistent than DEL in checking checked luggage and carry-on luggage screening on arrival. People have their own theories about why that is.