FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Childbirth and kidney stones - how do they compare?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:34 am
brendamc

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I didn't want to scare anyone even more, but after your description of it getting stuck in your ureter, I feel it's time...

Mine got stuck, then passed. A while later, I still didn't feel well - like a really bad kidney infection & was basically miserable for weeks. Kept going to the doctor & at first he said I was fine, then decided to put a stent in. That was another nightmare - they wishboned me so much on the table that they ripped groin muscles, so I couldn't walk, along with literally feeling the stent inside of me & still felling like sh*t.

Decided it was time to go to another doctor & he did an IVP & told me where the stent was wasn't doing any good, as my ureter had scarred over & was totally closed above it. Was basically in uremic poisoning & that's why I felt so bad. Scheduled ureteral repair surgery, which was highly unusual for a 33 year old female. Ended up having to have emergency surgery before that, as I woke up in so much pain one day I thought the end was near - and I was home alone with a 3 year old.

After 8 days in the hospital, my scar is huge & wraps around my waist & the recovery from that was much longer than I ever imagined or anyone warned me.

Moral of the story - if you've had kidney stones & still don't feel well, insist on an IVP (or whatever the modern equivalent is - this was all 12 years ago) & make sure your ureter isn't scarring & closing.