FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Essen, Germany, Sheraton Hotel [Master Thread]
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:45 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nixande
I do not have flown this or stayed there but let me add this to help you out:

The german rail system is always available for check under http://bahn.de and you do have an english interface there as well. There are different train typs, you want to look for ICE (the fastest)

When people compare flight to train they often compare the complete time in train with just the flight time, which of course is not fair.

For Dus-Essen you have to train travel, to Muc airport you have to and you have to wait before.

Düsseldorf Essen should be a direct train available (btw the one you would take from Muc as well

It seems the train is 5:32 train station to train station, while I see at least three hours with the flight: getting to muc, waiting an hour before, flying and hour and probably for getting from dus to essen.

During that time you can sit somewhere and do biz on the train especially if you reserve a seat with power plug.

The fully flexible ticket for second class ice costs 115 (and will not rise) on this though no miles nor lounge for you. You can board any train with this although you will loose your seat reservation. Online checking for seat reservation is final at booking. You can buy and print your own boarding pass up to an hour before train drive - and maybe even more if you stretch it..

Well, lets calculate city center Munich to city center Essen:

Flight: Take the sububan train from Munich central to the airport, leaving at 7:25, arriving at MUC at 8:06. Take LH 828 at 8:55, arrive at Duesseldorf 10:10. Transfer from the terminal to the rail station by Skytrain (without luggage) about 20 minutes after arrival. Take the suburban train to Essen at 10.29, arrive Essen Central at 10:51.

Train: Take the ICE (High Speed train) from Munich central to Essen central at 7:26, arrive Essen at 12:58.

So flying buys you two hours if everything works perfectly. With plenty of luggage and/or a a family I would think about taking the train.