FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:33 pm
SpaceCoastBill
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
IN AZ about the only time you are required to provide ID is when driving a vehicle.

Its a crime to fail to provide ID in that case.

Now if you are walking down the street and an officer demands ID, you can simply walk away.

If the officer is investigating a crime and you fit the description of the person he is looking for then you may be detained ...

Originally Posted by studentff
Huh? Produce an identification document? "Papers please?" Can you please cite examples (in the USA)?

I'm no lawyer, but I thought there was no requirement to produce ID at any time to engage in non-regulated/licensed activities (i.e., driving requires a license, so you have to show your DL to the cop). Walking down the street does not require a license. Nor does being a passenger in a car. Or standing in the airport.

I thought the Hiibel case established that the state (NV in that case) could require you to speak your name, but did not in any way say you had to show your papers to the cop.