FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for visiting Iguazu falls from my recent trip
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:50 am
LAXGUY

Originally Posted by linsj
Anyone know when the waters are likely to return? Is this a seasonal thing?
I was there last month and believe the current photos circulating on the net exaggerate the situation. If you have never seen Iguazu, you will be incredibly impressed even today. Devil's Throat is no trickle--it's overwhelming. (I have seen the falls before, and at this same time of year, so I know what the comparison is). But if you've been before--you will notice the difference right away.

The locals told us they are in the midst of the worst drought in 20 years, so it's not a "seasonal" thing. The reasons cited ranged from "Mother Nature" to "global warming." Also mentioned is that there is a dam upriver (I forget if it's on the Brazilian or the Argentine side) that reduces the falls' flow at certain times of year; the downstream country occasionally asks for the spigot to be turned on (so to speak) for the benefit of tourism, but such requests are handled on a case by case basis.

A couple of other notes in response to the previous couple of posts:

When we were there last month, the zodiac boats under the falls were not running--the river wasn't deep enough for the boat to be able to make the trip upriver; the boats also don't run when the flow is too heavy, so you are taking your chances either way.

And, the Sheraton was totally renovated this spring, and is a much nicer hotel than it used to be. Sheraton Gold still gets you a falls view room or a suite, but you don't need Gold to get free internet. There are several terminals in the lobby offering free internet to anyone, hotel guests and visitors alike, 24/7.