FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about flying domestic with foreign passport.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:15 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by bggale737
Hi. I'm a newly registered user and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding domestic flights in the U.S.

I am wondering if I will have any problem flying domestically in the U.S. with my South Korean passport as valid I.D. From what I know, the policy is that for anyone 18 years or older(which I am), he/she is required to present valid government I.D. and I dont know if foreign passport is considered one of'em. Other than the passport, I have my college ID (City College of New York). Will this also work? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.

BTW, i believe my visa is expired. but does this matter for domestic flights?
You'll be fine with the passport, just open it up to the photo page. If checking luggage, you may have to show it to the airline employee checking the luggage and you'll need to show it to the "ID checker" before you get to the TSA checkpoint.

As far as your visa being expired, that could cause you other problems at some point in the future as you'd be in the US illegally if it is expired. It's possible you may be banned from re-entering the US for a period of time after you do leave the states. I don't know your circumstances which allowed your visa to lapse, but you may want to consider talking to an attorney who deals with immigration law to minimise any problems this may cause. The US has gotten very strict with people overstaying their visas.

The ID checkers will just want to see the passport and see that the passport is valid. You're good to fly!

SDF_Traveler