FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:25 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by TMOliver
While I would agree with you generally on Tallisker (although personally more comfortable with the Macallans', the older the better, and will drink Laphroaig any time, your take on blends is indescribaly out to lunch....
(and many if not most, maybe all whisky from Scotland was aged in Sherry casks at one time, perhaps still...)

Grant's is simply "bar scotch" used for "well" drinks.

Chivas Regal is the creation (back in the 50s) of Doyle Dane Bernbach's advertsing agency, a modestly priced whisky, rebottled and tarted up, its price doubled and peddled as "high class".

Most 'Merkin Scotch drinkers of modern times approve of the New Yorker's brand, Dewars, while among the heavy blends, I still like JWalker Black, the premium whisky of my naval career, and asa personal purchase lean to "Grouse".

Drinkable Cheap Scotch (only sold abroad, imported into the US in the barrel to save tax): Crawford's, essentially the same "blend" as JWalker Red at about a third less in price.

Someone recently treated me to a glass of something new, a single malt aged in a Port cask, and interesting nose...I can't remeber the name.

TMO
Both Glenmorangie and Bowmore make a port cask aged whisky. I think the former is more common in the states. Im general a fan of Bowmore and brought a bottle of their port cask aged back and liked it a lot.