FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Misuse of Corporate\Discounted Rate Codes
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:18 pm
socrates
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BigLar
I'd like to hear more about this, but for the record:

1. I have never used any of the codes listed here, either because they never seem to apply to the property I have in mind, or the GOV rate (for which I am eligible) is better. Sometimes the over-50 rate is better. I go for the deal I quality for.

2. For the periods I have negotiated a rate (because I'm going to be at a particulay property for an extended period of time), I negotiate with the GM of the place. I don't lie to him, I give him my best estimate of the business I can provide, and we go from there. If he decides that he can survive on $20/night (never actually happened), I won't dissuade him . Sometimes (as in my current assignment), he won't negotiate at all. In that case I go somewhere else.

The point (and I think it's been discussed here many times before) is that misuse of codes for which you would not normally be eligible is an ethical grey area -- black for some and white for others. For me personally, I prefer to have things visible on the table -- otherwise, I would have nightmares about coming back one night and finding my stuff piled up in the lobby and some guy from Marriott security wanting to talk to me about back-billing and so on. Not a happy thought.
As mentioned earlier there are many many factors that go into pricing an account and doing exactly what you do, giving as much data about your needs as possible, is the best thing you can do to negotiate a rate. My personal views about this "gray" area have been stated before and I'll save you all from hearing it again (or using any examples to make my point as we usually just end up discussing the examples and not the point).

Just to be clear: Individual companies travel programs while usually similar to others do typically also have unique points about them as well.

Also to point out, unlike widgets a hotel's rooms are fixed, buy too many and you reach a point where the discount a hotel can provide begins to decline.