FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight To Antarctica
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:11 pm
kkirksea

Flight To Antarctica

A while back I posted that there was a firm that flies to Novolazarevskaya Base from Cape Town, in response to reports about seasickness on cruise ships. ( Why use a cruise ship and get seasick when this is FLYERtalk?!?! ^ ). I found out about the option because there was an Astronomy tour down there for an Eclipse back in '03.

Some interest was shown by folk, and I offered to stop by their offices while in Cape Town ( I'll be there next week ).

This is not a solicitation, I'm not forming a "flyertalk tourgroup" nor do I plan on organizing anything. ( Moderator? What's the policy on such a bizarre a thing? ). I'm just gathering and posting info as I find it.

Back in 2003, the cost was around $13,000 to $15,000 per person ... after you've gotten to Cape Town. That included 2 days at the Russian base and basic gear, I believe. And one leaves Cape Town according to the weather conditions.. I think they quoted about a 50-50 chance that the Russian plane may turn back during he 6 hour flight since weather conditions may warrant this.. and the round trip range means they either have to go forward or decide to return at the 3 hour mark.

And you won't get Frequent Flyer Miles for these segments.

That's enough emoticons for one post!

Are folk still interested, given such conditions?