FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unaccompanied Minors
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:08 am
AinA

Programs: AS, IHG
Well... they landed safely.

When we got to the airport I had the 7 y.o. figure out their gate and flight number and seat assignments from his boarding pass. He was able to get us to the gate although he was a little stymied looking at the Do Not Enter sign for what was clearly labeled C Gate Exit. The guard could see what was happening and let him work out the problem on his own. Finally he just looked at me and said, "We gotta keep going."

He showed his little sister how to wait to go through the WTMD while I was loading their backpacks and carry on full of food onto the belt. When we got to the gate they were still boarding an earlier flight so I did offer the suggestion to him of verifying the gate with the GA, which he did. They found some kids in the waiting area to play with and totally ignored me while I hovered.

For some dumb reason I thought I would get to put them in their seats. Oh well. THey moved people around and they seated them middle and aisle together in a row towards the back. Would have preferred opposing aisle seats but the flight was full and we bought our tickets at the last minute. Sent money for digi-players and instructions for no sugar or caffeine (for the FAs sake) and they were gone.

I stayed up way past my bedtime waiting on the phone to hear if they arrived safely. Dad walked up and the kids were distracted talking to some other UMs. The 5 y.o. responded that she did NOT recognise her dad when queried by the FA, her older brother said... That's DAD! Her response with a big sigh, "I know." ???? Don't tell me kids don't have a grasp on sarcasm! Of course Dad's ID was checked a little more thoroughly than normal at that point! FA totally cracked up. Dad did come bearing gifts for the FAs too. (Big bag of fresh cherries.)

The FA said they were great and could fly unaccompanied without worry. (Perhaps she just wants more cherries?) According to the kids they had fun. Apparently they did get pop after all. That alone made flying cool!!!

Would we do it again right away? Probably so although I do not forsee the opportunity in the near future. The FA being supportive is a plus. Glad I had FT to vent my fears at today. Thanks for the responses! Whew!

A