FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Book tonight & Fly tomorrow?
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:03 am
karthik

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Nutzz
Just wondering what type of MR's that people have run into searching at night and finding that last minute deal on a single day RT... and then boarding the plane in the morning???
Booking the night before? Come on, that's no fun... you're supposed to book it over the phone on your way to the airport after the website cuts you off for trying to booking too late!

I found a nice last-minute MR on Song last fall (JFK-SFO-JFK, so not quite a true MR.) I could've booked in advance, but the prices stayed low until the day before and I didn't know when I could travel until then. This was during a period of double flown DL miles from Amex plus a 10k Song transcon bonus from Delta, so I knew in advance that the RDM would be worthwhile (even if I just got the 10k bonus; but I got both and more!)

Making it even better... My outbound flight was cancelled, so they rebooked me on the next one, 1 hour later. I had a 45 minute turn in SFO, so they rebooked me SFO-JFK as well since I'd miss the connection with the new outbound (ended up with a 35 minute turn.) Both segments rebooked into Y. Ended up being quite lucrative with the three bonuses combined! The Amex double miles stacked on top of the 50% full-fare Y bonus. (And I was an FO at the time, so that was just with a 25% base RDM bonus rather than a 100% bonus as GM, which stacked on the 50% Y bonus as well of course.) Plus the 10k RDM to top it off...

I've gotten a few nice deals from Site59. Not great MRs, but great prices for the last minute flights+car (usually to visit friends for a weekend, so flight+car works best for me generally.) I remember one that worked out to $240 all-in BOS-DTW-BOS, which was great with the car included; NW wanted $1200+ for the same non-stop flights that I took. What's that you ask, non-stops!? Such heresy! Yeah yeah, I wasn't a mileage runner yet at the time so I went with the non-stops.