FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:44 am
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Suppose you are Hilton Gold and you see a really good deal on a handicapped room in a Hilton-family hotel. You book it, even though you aren't handicapped, to save some money (over $100/night in this case).

When you get there and there is availability in a better non-handicapped room, will they upgrade you?

Or will they only upgrade you to a better handicapped room or suite, assuming there is such a thing?

Or neither? Do they look at you to determine whether you are indeed handicapped before making their decision?

Is it considered improper for an able-bodied person to book a handicapped room to save money?

The hotels I am looking at for this are specifically in Chicago, but info about policy at other locations is welcome. Thanks.
Ive booked them for the same reason, at the same time i understood that I just might be stuck in it. I usually add a comment that this Diamond member would appreciate an upgrade to any room and that a Handi-Cap room isnt necessary what so ever. Other times a call to the Hotel was able to have me keep the same rate and they switched me.

1 time they said no to a change of rooms, and a few days before my arrival called and said they would change my room as they were out of The Handi-Cap rooms and needed mine. I told them I wasnt interested in changing my room any longer and expected to have the Handi-cap room when I got there otherwise they will have to walk me and pay for my nights Lodging etc. They werent too happy, I told them all of this could have been avoided when I orginally called , but was told under no circumstances would The Hotel give me areg room at that rate. Now that The Hotel can use my room , you want to move me, Now I dont want to be moved.