FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien Nice, France [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:21 pm
yosithezet
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thumbs up

The stay in Nice was nice. The staff wasn't overly friendly or helpful but not every country can have the kind of service you get in India. A colleague was told by the doorman that since she needed a taxi quite early (5:30AM) to ask the front desk to book one for her. The front desk said that she should walk across the street and get one at the taxi stand. Not sure how that worked out but when I was looking for a taxi at 8:30AM there were plenty at the taxi stand.

One word about the taxis before I discuss the hotel. We were ripped off again and again I beleive. The meter in the taxi would read one thing and they'd ask for 10 Euro more. At one point we ate in Antibe 5 of us came back to Nice in a taxi. The first group was dropped off and charged 40 Euro which for Antibe to Nice seemed plausible. We were dropped off 5 minutes later and again charged 40 Euro. "40 Euro per drop" we were told. Mon Dieu!

I was 'upgraded' to a superior room which was quite spacious. There were two closets, a bathroom with a bidet (couldn't figure out how one uses it), bathtub and sink. The toilet was in a seperate room. There were essentially two rooms as you entered into a large room with a desk, TV, table, and two chairs while the king-size bed was around the corner in another part of the room. There was a huge balcony with a great view of the hills behind nice and the police station at the back of the hotel but no view of the sea. On the balcony were two wooden lounge chairs and a round wooden table and two wooden chairs. If I'd brought my wireless access point and/or something other than my suit it would have been very nice to sit out there.

The turn-down service included two chocolates and a tray with a small bottle of olive oil, some cherry tomatoes and a small bowl with some salts and herbs of some sort.

The hotel is right across the street from a nice promenade along the beach and it is right in the middle of lots of restaurants and pub nightlife.

My points posted quite quickly and in a timely manner. All in all I'd stay there again with no qualms.