FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2006, 9:23 am
Jim Kutsko

Some other observations

>>
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Depending on which specific subregion you visit, Mendoza is spread out over larger portions of territory. Signage in Mendoza is still rudimentary, thingsare generally more organized in Chile. If you mean styles of wines, then I would say that Chile has a clear advantage when it comes to still white wines, while in the red wine department - Argentina has considerably more depth in quality wines.

Some restaurants:

1884 Francis Malmmann
Bistro at the Park Hyatt
El Palenque (local, good homemade style food)
La Bourgogne at Vistalba Carlos Pulenta
Postales del Plata (Chacras de Coria)

Wineries to visit (please note some places require advance booking):
La Rural Rutini - Museo del Vino
Chandon Argentina
Familia Zuccardi
Bodegas Lopez
Catena Zapata
<<

We went to Mendoza for the Vendimia at the beginning of March. Here are a couple of observations.

The Park Hyatt is a good location. It's right across the street from Plaza Independencia. Just up the street on the way to San Martin Park on Avenue Sarmiento you will find a number of little bistros and restaurants (includeing Azafran which my wife really liked) that were pretty good. There is a really good Helado (Ice Cream) store on the corner of Belgrado and Avenue Sarmiento which we really liked. We ate at 1884 Francis Mallman twice in our four day visit. My wife loved their pumpkin ravioli (had it both times) and I had a steak once and a salted chicken which was very good.

We took a tour for visiting the wineries which was really interesting and fun. I really enjoyed Alta Vista winery and we had lunch at Ruca Malen. At Ruca Malen winery you do the wine tasting with lunch (lunch was very good--It included Sweet corn tortelette, beef tenderloin, and cinnamon and cheese mouse for dessert).

We went during the Vendimia and it was fabulous. So much was going on during our stay that we are talking about going back next year again.