FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport in Maiden Name -- Ticket in Married Name Dilemma
Old May 10, 2006, 7:40 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kersie
So I finally screwed up the business of transferring over to my married name slowly.

I have not yet taken care of dealing with my passport. I'm somewhat afraid to send it in because I have a lot of family in Canada, and even with expedited service, I hate not being able to go there if I need to (for whatever reason.)

So... I am flying to Toronto at the end of June. My ticket is in my new name, which uses both my maiden name and my married name. My passport is just in my married name. This was a goof caused by me failing to pay attention and for the fact that domestically I have a driver's license in my new name and on accounts where I haven't changed over my name yet I just fly with my passport.

So here's the question. Do I just go ahead and change the name on my passport now? There should be plenty of time to get it back with expedited service before June. Or do I hope that because the ticket has both married and maiden name I'll be ok? Or do I call CO and ask them to make a note of it in their computer?

Anybody else have any experience with this? I just feel dumb right now!
You will be throwing away your money on expedited service. Just hold on to your passport until your June trip is completed and then send it in for a new one afterward. It took the state dept only 3 weeks to send me a new one. Now I wouldn't depend on that speed which is why I recommend you holding on to your current passport.

Just travel with your marriage certificate. I did this last fall when I flew to Toronto for the weekend. My ticket was in my married name while the passport was in the maiden name. In fact in both Canadian and US immigration, the agents didn't even ask to see my marriage certificate. But still bring it. These people are very familiar with women getting married and changing their names. They know it takes a while to get the passport changed. So don't even worry one second. Have fun.