FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best way to Vladivostok from US?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2006, 10:58 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still trying to figure out best way to Vladivostok from US East Coast. My friend doesn't have enough frequent flyer miles, so it will be a paid ticket. Big decision seems to be to go through Moscow or try transiting Asia.

I've heard, but can not yet confirm, that Moscow is an easy transit point eastbound, but that there's no way of avoiding an overnight westbound. True? If so, is there a reasonably priced (but still comfortable) hotel option for such a transit passenger?

Also, flying across the Atlantic, will it be cheaper to buy two tickets (like NYC-Moscow and Moscow-Vladivostok)? If so, is it possible for a foreigner to buy a discounted Moscow-Vladivostok ticket?

Since this will be in coach, what's the relative comfort level involved here? Who would you fly from NYC to Moscow? And are there viable choices between Moscow and Vladivostok? Any need to switch airports in Moscow?

Alternatively, we are considering the "Asian option." My guess is that flying to Japan is cheaper than flying to Korea (or China) to connect. But I guess Korean is the only non-Russian airline to fly to Vladivostok? Is there ANY way to get a discount on that flight -- I've heard tickets are very expensive. Alternatively, someone above posted a link to Vladivostok Avia airlines. Anyone with experience on them? All I can see is that they exclusively fly Russian planes which (from my "know nothing" American perspective, doesn't necessary seem like a good thing). They do seem to have 2 flights a week into Osaka, however, would could make for a good, affordable connection from the US. How would an American buy a ticket on this airline?

Thanks for the help, everyone. This isn't an easy place to fly to. I'd sure like to get it for under US$1000, and a bunch of ff miles.

Last edited by iahphx; May 3, 2006 at 11:04 am