FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: My Central Heating is stuck ON and British Gas Can't Come Until Monday
Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:44 pm
Dave_C

Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock
Anyone know how to fix a boiler?

Yes...but not by remote control!

The systems mains electrical supply ought to be plugged into either a 13A socket...normally adjacent either the boiler or if it's an older system more likely close to the pump...which again is usually near the hot water storage tank.

May be just a switched flex outlet although B.G. for years asked for a socket since that allowed their service technician to un-plug the equipment from the mains and be (fairly) sure it was properly isolated.

In either case remove the electrical supply by switching off the socket or flex outlet and the boiler ought to go out...the gas supply solenoid should close on mains failure and the pilot light extinguish until manually re-lit.

Is it a 'combi' which heats your hot water as it passes through or is there a separate DHW (domestic hot water) tank? If you do have a tank there may be an electric immersion heater fitted in that as well so you will not be without hot water...as long as you know where to switch it on!

Like a computer switching off and on again might just 're-boot' the system...but you would have to re-light the boiler to test.

This is most unusual...can't say I've heard of such a fault before...scratch head...suck in through teeth...twitch ear lobe...could be expensive guv!
There is indeed a switch above it - so if I turn it off, it won't just fill up the house with un-lit gas, and the house blow up?

I can take a photo and post it on my webpage if it helps?