FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gate checking an electric scooter?
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:07 pm
Kremmen

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Many disabled say to gate check the powerchair, but it seems like they have newer chairs with easier access to the batteries. My older chair you have to remove the seat, pull off the shroud, then disconnect batteries. I've been told to attach instructions.

One other suggestion I've recieved is to take photos of the chair prior to travel, with that days newspaper, and mail a copy to yourself, but don't open it. It will be proof of chair condition should the airline balk at fixing a chair they damaged.
FWIW, it's not age, it's just poor design. There are some very modern, very expensive chairs which have no easy way to disconnect the power. However, it's usually fairly trivial to get ones wheelchair shop/handiman/etc to insert a pair of connectors into the power lead(s) from the batteries to allow quick disconnection.

In our experience, getting NorAm airlines to pay for any damage is never a problem. FlyingPenguin has suggested to her wheelchair shop that they should subsidise her travel, since it brings them so much business.