FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:50 am
party_boy

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Not a good analogy. Transcons can be had a dime a dozen in the $350 - $400 range from most any point on either coast. A $198 fare is something that's in place about 30% of the time with years of precendent. Any astute traveller knows this. The $198 fare is about a 50% discount off standard excursion, adv purchase tickets and is reasonably common. That fare is also well advertised and matched for weeks at a time by most any carrier in affected markets.

AZ's deal of $33 in Business Class represents something that is wholly unprecendented. Additionally, it is not advertised in any marketing effort, no other carrier matched, and it was yanked within 12 hours. On top of that it was about a 99% discount to the normal, precedent fare.

Two very different scenarios.

Again, I wanted all of you folks to get these tickets and have a great time in Cyprus, or wherever. But, at some level common sense must prevail.

Not one purchaser of these tickets thought this was a promo fare --- everyone knew it was a glitch fare that would soon be gone. Folks raced to the finish line in hopes that their bookings would succeed before AZ knew what was happening.
Believe it or not, I have grown to expect NOTHING in regards to airline fares. I have recieved transit on 0 dollar fares as well as 6976.88 fares in J for the exact same city pairs and days of week. Frankly, I have no clue how the airlines construct fares nor do I care.