FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How close to a passport expiration date can you travel?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:31 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by GUWonder
US Embassies/Consulates strongly prefer not doing that any more; and unless an emergency is involved, their default is to request the normal passport from the National Passport Agency and wait for it to get sent back. And ACS, after hearing the details, may well tell the person to wait until the real deal comes in from overseas. I've seen a few cry babies come into the embassy/consulate and leave claiming this would cost a lot of money -- which it would. Maybe they shouldn't have come in with a passport with X days left with a ticket going back to the US in X+10 days.

I'd be curious what ACS would do -- for example in the event of an emergency -- where a US government blacklist prevents the issuance of a US passport to a citizen without override authorization from elsewhere, an override authorization which can take some time to come in. And names being added to blacklists between departing the US and attempt to get new US passport has happened.
What would be the best choice if you cant get an appointment at the local
passport office in US before you leave?

It would be interesting to know how strictly these countries enforce
the 6 months rule?

I know China suggests 6 months policy, but they are not enforced strictly.