FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How close to a passport expiration date can you travel?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:24 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cpx
If you think you have time to visit a local confulate in a foreign country
you are visiting, I think you can get eh passport done the same day.
Please check their online site for the information. And you may not have
to pay additional fees for the expedited service.

But please check before you leave US.
you may find links through this: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...renew_833.html
US Embassies/Consulates strongly prefer not doing that any more; and unless an emergency is involved, their default is to request the normal passport from the National Passport Agency and wait for it to get sent back. And ACS, after hearing the details, may well tell the person to wait until the real deal comes in from overseas. I've seen a few cry babies come into the embassy/consulate and leave claiming this would cost a lot of money -- which it would. Maybe they shouldn't have come in with a passport with X days left with a ticket going back to the US in X+10 days.

I'd be curious what ACS would do -- for example in the event of an emergency -- where a US government blacklist prevents the issuance of a US passport to a citizen without override authorization from elsewhere, an override authorization which can take some time to come in. And names being added to blacklists between departing the US and attempt to get new US passport has happened.