FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:04 am
sfbenning

Originally Posted by DCF
Don't tell me to do a search, I just did, and now I'm more confused than ever.....

The following properties have limited participation with Starwood Preferred Guest. Members will earn Starpoints for all qualifying stays; however as this is a vacation villa property, upgrades, late check out, and other in-hotel benefits are not available. There are no Starpoint or airline mile redemption options for any free night or discounted awards.

Participating Properties:
1406 Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort & Villas, Lahina Maui, HI

So here are my questions...

1) "Members will earn Starpoints for all qualifying stays"
Is that the 1000 Starpoints of other SVO properties, or is it points per dollar spent like at any other Starwood property?

2) Do you accrue night and stay credits towards Gold or Platinum requalification?

If the answer to either of these is no, it is pretty obviously better just to reserve a good room at the Westin Maui for any stay longer than one night, in terms of earning points and stay / night credits.

I also have a timeshare question, given that they are trying to sell Ka'anapali North units and will obviously soon be selling St Regis Wailea timeshares....

If you buy an Ocean Front week at $50,000 (for example) and decide to convert one year to Starpoints, how many Starpoints do those seven nights convert to? The Westin Maui down the road is Category Five now, so it should be 72,000 to 96,000 Starpoints for a week in a 1 bed unit at the Westin Ka'anapali, even though that makes no allowance for having bought an ocean view or fitting multiple people in a unit, which might better correspond to two hotel rooms.

Any light people may be able to shed on this would be gratefully received!
I'll answer the ones I know, since I own at WKORV. If you own a 2 bedroom lock off, you can trade that unit in for 80,000 starpoints EVERY OTHER YEAR. If you are an Elite owner, you can trade your unit in every year. ( Elite is based on how many SVO units you own, and they units have varying values in the system based on location, season owned, size of unit, frequentcy of interval, etc)

I have always gotten points for the stuff I buy at WKORV, like food. But no stay credit. This has been covered by lurker in other posts.