FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Types of passengers
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:40 pm
sfbarry

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Then today on AA 47 (777), the wife and I were in 32 H&J behind a couple who obviously had status with AA or they wouldn't be in the row ahead of me, row 31, the bulkhead. They easily had eight feet of space in front of them, but that apparently wasn't enough. They "bolted" back well before we were at cruising altitude....all the way back. There they stayed throughout the flight.

I wouldn't charactarize the couple in front of us as rude. "Less than considerate" might be a better description. As I said, they have every right to recline. But I also think a little consideration in today's cattle car airplane cabins would make the increasingly unpleasant experience more bearable for everyone.
But that extra 1" of recline makes the seat sooooo much more comfortable...

Standing at 6'4", most airplane seats leave little if any room between my knees and the seatback when I am unfortunate enough not to have snagged an upgrade. I usually try to gauge the "reclining tendencies" of those seated in front of me before the flight departs. If I think they will make the attempt, I sit with my knees firmly against the seatback. When they try to recline, can't and try, try agin, finally leaning up and then back hard against the seat, I politely tap them on the shoulder, explain that my knees are in the way and apologize that they will not be able to recline.

Once, one jerk waited until I got up to visit the lavatory (in my correct class, of course) and then fully reclined. I guess he thought my legs would shrink after I took a leak... (no comments from the balcony !!!) When I returned to my seat, of course my knees were pushing into the seatback. He kept turning around to look at me. I just smiled. He eventually rang the FA button and complained that I kept pushing my knees into his seatback. The FA looked at me, down at my legs, and replied, "Sir, I'm sorry but this passenger cannot shorten his legs, but YOU can put your seatback in the upright position.". The look on the guy's face was priceless. ^