FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Porto, Portugal [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:42 am
claes059

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Post Sheraton Porto hotel and Spa: THE place to be in Porto?! Pics&Review October 2005

For my pics see: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2005/opo-sheraton.php
Thanks to LH 738

The Sheraton Porto is a relatively new hotel in Porto. From the airport it was very easy to take the airport bus, which stops in front of the arrival hall. Upon request the driver stops in front of the Sheraton hotel. It was very easy and fast. In my opinion, no need for a taxi!
Another option would be the Metro from the airport, which is finished in a couple of months. Be aware you will have a 10 minutes walk from the Underground station to the hotel.

The hotel is centrally located between the beach ( f.i. Foz!) and downtown. I took the bus to the beach, just around the corner and almost in front of Le Meridien hotel. It takes only 10 – 15 minutes, the buses are clean, comfortable, fast and run very frequently. A ticket is appr. € 2,30 for a ride.
Porto downtown: the new metro system takes you there in 10 minutes. A return ticket costs appr. €2,30. Carriages are new, clean, modern and a great way to head for downtown. It is a 10 minutes walk to the metro station.

Check – in went smoothly, and I was happy I was upgraded to Club level on the high floors. My room was facing the sea.
Glass elevators take you up to the high Clubfloors.
Upon arrival in my room, there was no welcome card / letter of the manager, no small fruits, etc. It does make a difference as compared to other Starwood hotels. Though there was a very small bottle of (delicious ) port!

The interior of the room was modern, with lots and lots of the dark BROWN colours. The Philips flatsquare tv was one of the eye catchers of the room. The glass wall between the room and the bathroom was another.
No classic music was available, only to buy for some hours via the hotel program of the tv!

The bathroom was very comfortable with a large bathtub. The large shower was a big surprise. The oldish standard, oldish, unattractive Sheraton bath products were available in the clubrooms. No Molton Brown products or upgraded bathproducts in the Clubroom. There was no comb and no toothbrush available. (And yes, I just needed this stay one, since the battery of my electric one was empty!)
The bed appeared to be rather hard and uncomfortable.
No refreshment centre with coffee/tea machine was available in this Clubroom.

The view from my room was ok, on a clear day you could see the ocean from my room, albeit far away.

Club lounge was a disappointment. When I was there in the afternoon, no (soft) drinks, no coffee or tea, no English newspapers or magazines ( in Portugese only), no small fruits or snacks were available. It appeared to be desolated and I can understand why.
I did meet a Indian/English doctor who attended a conference here. He was quite disappointed and told me he had seen much better hotels. He complaint the personnel did not give him information concerning the facilities of the hotel and many of them speak no English... Furthermore he went with colleagues to the nearby Meridien hotel to dine and have a coffee.
In the evening there are drinks and some hot snack in this Club lounge. Selection of drinks are very limited, although the wine and port are of a very good quality. No personnel is available and it’s only self service here.
When the weather allows it, the terrace of the lounge is quite nice. I have had a nice drink here while watching a beautiful sunset.

I went to the Spa to make an appointment since they offered the Ayurvedic massage ( rate was €90). The interior of the Spa was nice. I was forbidden to take pictures with my camcorder. The manager of the Spa told me so, she could not allow it, regarding the privacy of the guests.
I told her I could understand, I did not want to take pictures of other guest. At this time there were no guests at all! However, I was still not allowed to take pictures. I had to ask permission of the general manager! I was embarrassed.
Before I wanted to use the Spa, I asked if they would show me around. I have seen very nice Spa’s in Starwood hotels around the world and in general they show me around. But not here! I could only see the Spa if I would pay for it! Even as a SPG Gold I had to pay for using the swimming pool and sauna. I did not like this at all. It seems so unfriendly to guests.

I only could use the fitness for free. The fitnessmachines, see my pictures, are very modern and easy to use. A friendly trainer is available and helps you when needed. I did like my workout here.

After my training I decide to have the Ayurvedic massage.
It appeared the Ayurvedic massage was a big disappointment. In no way it was a ayurvedic massage, I had several in the Sheraton Maurya (Delhi) Spa. I explained the details of Ayurvedic massage to the therapist, and she would ask her teacher from Brasil…..
Well, I was not very happy or satisfied to pay the €90,-- for this massage and felt somewhat deceived.
The facilities in this Spa were very nice, and I enjoyed the multi showers and different baths. The swimming pool is large enough for some good swimming and I enjoyed it a lot. Needless to say, I did not like the atmosphere of exclusiveness here since compared to other Spa’s around the world this Spa is not so special.

The first night I ordered dinner via roomservice. The dinner was not very special, the food had too much salt, portions were small. Service was ok.
Restaurant Porta Nova: opens late, at 20:00u. When I asked the supervisor concerning this she told me it was not late. When I told her I had dinner in general at 18:00 as many have in Northern Europe, she told me she would have lunch at that hour…..
The menu was very limited if you do not like seafood, as I do. Some of the waiters appeared not to speak English, which was quite confusing and annoying. The food was again too salty for me, and I did not enjoy it! At least the wines were very good.
Though the restaurant was almost empty, they located the guests in one section. During my meal it became more and more crowded in the area where I was having dinner. So, not a relaxing and peaceful meal for me. I did notice other guests asking for other seats in the almost empty restaurant.
Just in front of me, a Italian/Spanish couple was seated. She seemed to be an angry irritated young woman and did not want to have dinner, made unfriendly remarks to the personnel, showed an irritated face and attitude etc. etc.
After 10 minutes I decided to leave this place and I would not come back for dinner here!

Next day I tried the New York bar for a small dish. And boy, did I like it here. Personnel is very very professional and friendly. They showed a lot of patience with some difficult guests who were feeling really really important here. Nothing seemed to be too much for them! Even if those guests did not show any respect to them because they felt too important. They were serving with a smile.
They serve a very nice cappuccino here. Food was no too salty here and it had a good taste. I can advice the Tandoori meat with mintsauce, it is quite delicious. It reminded me of the mint sauce in the Sheraton Perdana Langkawi.
The bar has a nice terrace, and when the sun shines it is a pleasure to be here.
I felt at home here, in this New York bar of the Sheraton Porto. Usually I have my food in one of the several restaurants of the Starwood hotels, it is the first time I needed to go to the bar.

Breakfast was served in the Clublounge. Selection of food was limited. Service was very friendly and good however. I had one breakfast in the restaurant. The selection of food is large and of good quality.
The restaurant does have a terrace, it must be great to have dinner in summer here.
Preferred to go to club lounge for breakfast, because of the privacy and service here. There was a waiter, mr. Renato?, working here. He did his service with a smile and showed good service. It was a pleasure to have breakfast in the Clublounge.

It seemed, the Sheraton was The place to be these days in Porto and beyond, and it showed. The New York bar seemed to be packed in the weekends….

Reception, in general, seemed to have an attitude at first sight. But I must say, many of them are very helpful, friendly and give a good service. When I wished to extend my stay, mrs. Tania took care of the arrangements. She appeared to be persistent when the first attempts to contact the airline were not successful. I am very thankful for her shown service to me!
Concierge gives a good service. Reminds me of the one in the Sheraton Bandara Jakarta.

The Le Meridien hotel is located just across the street. They were renovating the hotel. The interior of the renovated rooms is classic an very, very stylish! Rooms seemed to be much smaller though. However, for the executive rooms no complimentary services were available and no executive lounge on these floors.

Would I go back? Yes for sure.
Why? The hotel is comfortable and service is ok.
However, it is clear the Clubrooms are not worth the extra money! They do not offer any extra comfort or extra services / benefits. And, except for the personal service during the breakfast, the Clublounge is a big disappointment.
The juniorsuites, on the highest floor have a private terrace. They seem to be more attractive than the Clubrooms.
When in March 2006 the Le Meridien is integrated in the SPG, I guess it would be a perfect opportunity to compare the hotels.

For my pics see: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2005/opo-sheraton.php
Thanks to LH 738