FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:11 pm
pmaddock

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I'm actually a Marriott convert so I can say that I found Hhonnors to be a better program that Marriott Rewards. The primary reasons being:

1. Hilton has the option of earning status based on stays instead of just nights. This probably bothers those who fear that status is watered down but just a little Mattress Run tweaking let me reach Diamond under Hilton where I would not have even made Gold in Marriott (about 50 nights a year but hard to use Marriott per next comment).
2. Marriott's lower tier properties tend to get in much worse shape than Hilton's lower tier. As an example, a significant portion of my travel is to the oddly named town of Coeur d'Alene, ID. Marriott has a Fairfield there but its truly skanky. It looks like it was built in the early 70's, has no workout room of any kind, and is in a bad location. I just can't stay there. No Hampton has ever reached that low a level on my meter.
3. Earnings flexibility - No brainer here - Hilton's Double dip plus all the 'my way' options go way beyond Marriott's simple earnings formulas.

To your questions:
- points cost (earned per dollar/spent per free night);
- I think Marriott has an edge there. MR points are worth a good bit more than Hilton points yet you earn them at roughly the same rates.
- points earned per stay (only X points/dollar or additional promotions);
- Its about even although Diamond has a much better bonus than Marriott Plat.
- points earned from affiliated credit cards (paying for staying in the hotel and for regular payments outside);
- More points from HH but they aren't worth as much as MR.
- availability of rooms for award points;
- So far I'm finding it much easier to redeem with HH.
- upgrades and occasional promotions;
- Marriott had much better promotional deals (e.g. Bonus Bucks, free nights after x nights, etc.)

Last edited by pmaddock; Jan 6, 2006 at 10:16 pm