FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How fat can you be and still fly?
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:37 pm
Lehava
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
As a "passenger of size" (POS) I really hope that anyone posting in this thread will try to have some respect. As CTM pointed out most of these threads turn really ugly and people forget that there are those of us reading who are large but we still have feelings!

There is always this question of what weight is too much, but you need to remember that we are all distributed different regardless of our weight. I for one on most planes can get the seat belt on without an extender (or if I need one I need it for about an inch) but my upper body is quite large (from years of prednisone and other meds I am built like a fat football player on top, despite being female). Another POS might need two seat belt extenders but their shoulders fit fine in the seat. Putting a person on a scale is not a way to determine who is a POS and who isnt.

I also think as POS's we have a responsibility (as do people with wide shoulders, long legs or anything else like this). I personally go out of my way to do everything I can not to impede my seat mates area, leaning as far to the other size as I can, squishing my arms, whatever I can. No I cant ask my clients to buy 2 seats (and truth other than on US Airways CRJ's I dont need to) but I do try to be respectful and aware of how much the person doesnt want to sit next to me doesnt want to be there.

Non-pos's you also need to have some respect, the sigh and eye roll when you see me is not needed, it doesnt help either of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The airlines also have a roll to play and need to get more realistic about seating. with more and more of the population becomeing POS's it certainly makes no sense to keep making the seats smaller and smaller!!!!!!!!

Like I said above, just remember EVERYONE has feelings and please lets not let this thread turn into the same hatred as so many others on this topic!