FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How fat can you be and still fly?
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2005, 3:37 pm
Robbie2222

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold
How fat can you be and still fly?

Wedesday morning I had a LAS -SLC- PNS schedule coming home from a meeting. I'm booked in 2A and the flight is full, flt #1824 LAS-SLT, 2B shows up after I'm all belted in and he is the fatest man that I have ever seen on an airplane in more than 40 years of flying. I'm a big guy myself, but this guy makes me look skinny. His butt was so big that he couldn't fit into the seat, he literally sat with one cheek on the center console and the other on the arm rest. He needed two seat belt extenders to get strapped in. At this point I feel like a trapped rat, he has pushed the console over 4 or 5 inches so my butt is now in a vise. We fly this way for the 1 hour flight, and when he gets up, I wasn't sure he would make it, I say a silent prayer that the torture is over. I told the FA as I left the plane "I need a rebate" all she could say is "I'm sorry".

I wish now that I had complained when we were still on the ground in LAS. I felt sorry for the guy and to some extent it was like the pot calling the kettle black, but if something had happened on the flight I'd be a dead man. Does Delta have a policy on how big is too big? Does the effected passenger, me in this case, have any rights? Thanks for listening to my rant, Robbie.