FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - flying with frozen meat--issues?
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:49 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Thumper
1. It is illegal to ship meat into Mexico.

2. carry on luggage.

Reread the entire thread. You are the only one who mentions "checked luggage"
1. So why was that brought up in the first place. That's not an important argument anyways.
2. Having frozen meat in carry-on luggage for a flight longer than an hour is just stupid and discourteous.

Checked luggage is a possibility as it is one of three means of transporting a good on an airline (carry, check, cargo), so I brought it up being that the initial post on this thread made no mention of either.

Originally Posted by davistev
Flying with meat - no worries - I do it all the time. I am an expert on this. I fly with Coleman coolers (last delivery included 22 coolers to the Sudan).

I ensure the product is frozen before hand and packed inside a heavy duty cooler (esky). I fly with Turkey, Duck, Pork (Muslim country so I inform the customs personel in advance it contains pork), other prok products, Sirloins and Seafood.

I pay $120 per cooler to ship from Canada to the Sudan. This covers about 60 lbs of meat or about $2 per pound for shipping. This is an incredible $$$ saver when you consider the price differences between this type of produce in North America and Africa (Quality is much better too).

So anyone for thanksgiving Turkey in the Sudan or delicious duck!

I just wished I got frequent flyer miles for excess luggage.

P.S. many businesses ship like this. In fact I met a fisherman flying from Palau to Guam with his coolers full of fresh seafood - he would arrive just in time for the morning Fish market. This is how he made a living. Ah - the opportunities flight have given us.

Cheers.
This is how you do it, not in carry-on luggage or regular roller-board luggage ^.

Last edited by cur; Dec 14, 2005 at 8:51 am