FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leo Mullin Responds?
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2001, 8:36 am
MHS

Leo Mullin Responds?

Strange isn't it? After expressing my concerns last night, lo and behold, in my mailbox today appears the following:

January 8, 2001
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Post Office Box 20980
Atlanta, Georgia 30320-2980
404 715 1450
www.delta-air.com

Thank you for your letter to Leo Mullin regarding several concerns you have with our SkyMiles program. Mr. Mullin has asked that I respond on his behalf.

I would like to address your concerns on the changes to our Medallion program. The Flying Colonel program was the first loyalty program promoted by Delta. Since it debut over 50 years ago, we have introduced new programs to meet the needs of today's travelers. However, you are a member of an esteemed group. You will always be recognized as a very special Delta customer, and you will always be a Flying Colonel.

We regret having had to discontinue complimentary Crown Room memberships for Flying Colonels, however, the change was necessary in order to prevent overcrowding. Also, membership fees help us establish and maintain Crown Room Clubs that will ensure every member's comfort.

Many considerations were involved in changing the policy to allow SkyMiles members to use an upgrade off an "L" type fare. We recognize that it makes good sense to reserve flights at the least expensive rate available, but to continue to allow upgrades from the very lowest fares simply does not make good business sense. We know that our highmileage customers were affected by this change. However, as previously stated, this was a necessary business decision. We have heard from passengers on both sides of this issue. This input will be used as we formulate future changes to our SkyMiles program.

In addressing the changes to our Medallion upgrade program, our upgrade program has been impacted by full capacity of our international flights. This adjustment to our SkyMiles program was made to better meet the expectations of our top-tier Medallion members and other business travelers.

We carefully assessed our competitor's top-tier programs and Delta continues to provide the most upgrade products of any U. S. frequent flyer program. Your unhappiness with these new benefits concerns me, and I have shared your comments within the appropriate management team. Guidance from a customer is helpful, especially when it comes from one of our best.

Mr. I certainly apologize for your disappointment with the changes to our
SkyMiles program. • I hope it has not compromised our long-time relationship. You are a valued Delta customer, and I hope you will continue to give us your support as this
program evolves.

Sincerely,

Nancy E. Bossert
Executive Assistant

NEB:nbx

I know that many of you are smarter than me. I am sure that some or most of this will be addressed tonight. But, I am not sure what this answer really says!

I am happy to know that I will "always be a Flying Colonel" even though it means nothing anymore!

Removal of promised and stated Lifetime Crown Room to prevent overcrowding- give me a break!

Membershipp fees help us establish and maintain, etc. Fees, that could be an answer.

It is good sense to reserve the least expensive flights available...but to allow upgrades from our lowest fares SIMPLY does not MAKE GOOD BUSINES SENSE. It is good sense for US to save money but it is SIMPLY not good business sense for THEM to support THEIR best customers! Give me another break!

This was a necessary business decision...and they heard from passengers on both side of this issue. What are both sides? Them that wants upgrades and them that dosen't! Keep the upgrade rules as they were and we can fairly COMPETE for whatever seats are available.

I am glad that they will continue to use our "input" to formulate future changes in our SkyMiles program. I can't wait to see how we will be screwed next!

I cannot really address International flights since I only leave the country rarely. I know that many of you have discussed that before in this forum. but I have to ask; (not to the detrement of our international travelling Brothers and Sisters) what does the full capacity of international flights have to do with domestic upgrade policy?

Is it not a fact that because of Delta providing "the most upgrade products of any U.S. frequent flyer program" we are still here?

I am happy that my "unhappiness with these new benefits concerns" Ms. Bossert.

Ms. Bossert, Mr. Mullin, et al, yes your changes have compromised "our long-time relationship."

I still do not feel like a VALUED Delta customer any more and only time, and Delta's future actions, will tell whether or not I will continue to give you my support.