FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Importing tulip (and flower) bulbs from Netherlands to USA
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:03 am
SchmeckFlyer

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
An update...

I just finished speaking with a flower merchant in Haarlem who is able to sell every kind of bulb imaginable that fulfills the import and sanitation requirements of US customs, and the Department of Agriculture.

Basically, he has to inspect the bulbs, clean them, and pack them appropriately no earlier than two weeks before scheduled departure. He issues a phytosanitary certificate that is valid only two weeks, and contains information such as my flight number, intended date of entry to US, and address in US. Although the prices are slightly higher than other wholesalers, they are definately much much lower than the prices of markets in Amsterdam that sell bulbs with the certificates, for example. A call to the embassy to confirm the procedure (to avoid suddenly discovering something "new" at customs, resulting in seizure of my bulbs) was positive.

I can get 500 mixed tulip bulbs, a whole bunch of Queen of Nights, and a bunch of imperialis for about 100 euros. And all suitable for import to the US. I think it will be a nice gift... and it grows back every year.