FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 2: What is your opinion concerning the establishment of new forums?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:46 am
John C

Programs: Delta MM
Originally Posted by gleff
I don't think anyone is suggesting feasibility studies, and I suspect that most candidates aren't especially far apart. Some folks explain their position as try anything and others point out that there are downsides to such an extreme take.

In reality I imagine that most candidates would consider adding some but not all forums.
Gleff, I think it might be partly a function of the question itself that leads the group as a whole to be more positive. Dovster's specific language was:

Originally Posted by dovster
...or if it seems like a good idea to you would you be willing to give it a try
What has not been discussed at depth thus far is what constitutes a "good idea". As missydarlin already indicated, I think your earlier post was a pretty solid framework with which many of us likely agree.

The devil is in the details though as it is a pure judgment call as to what will or will not grow rather than simply reorganize content. Personally, I believe I would be more inclined to try a rails board than were many current members. As an American who has both traveled and lived in Europe, while I understand it might start a bit slowly as many current users have less experience in that arena, I also see many opportunities for additional knowledge exchange within that topic.

I personally would have been less inclined to support a religious travel forum but I see that as a part of a larger trend to support various social oriented groups. I personally am not sure how broadly we need to support those types of topics. If we need a gay travel section, do we also need a black travel section? I am not sure how far the vision extends or really if there is any overall vision within this topic. I likely would have been less inclined to start down this path as I worry about boards that specifically divide rather than unite us. I would have been more inclined to crate a single board focused on intolerance while traveling so that we could all be on the same side instead of potentially creating an "us versus them" situation.