FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for Visiting Boeing Factory/Museum of Flight/Spruce Goose
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:43 am
SchmeckFlyer

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by apudme
Keen to avoid the traffic and hassle of LAX, so trying to fly out of SAN (san Diego) or ONT (Ontario, CA) , and plan to fly either to SEA or Portland, Oregon which I understand is the closest major airport to where the Spruce Goose is www.sprucegoose.com.
Curious as to why you think going to SAN or ONT will avoid traffic or hassle? San Diego is a good two hour drive from Los Angeles proper, and it can be much longer during traffic on the only primary artery conntecting the two cities (I-5). Also, getting to ONT from LA can also be a traffic nightmare. If your friends live anywhere near West LA/Downtown/Long Beach, LAX is really the place to be. ONT or SAN are only useful if you will be in those areas.

How far is McMinnville from Portland, Oregon, (time-wise) and is there anything else to see in the vicinity? Suggestions on where to stay ($150-$200 range per night).
About one hour drive by car. There is not too much to see IIRC, although the spectacular Oregon coast is only about a 1-2 hour drive further. Not to be missed if you have time, and then suggest staying in Cannon Beach.

...Y on Alaska or even upgrading to F on the Alaska/AA codeshare (which I understand is 150% BA miles but no TPs or lounge access, even on AA codeshare).
But are you sure Y upgrades fall into a bucket that earns the same as F revenue classes? I seem to remember AA has that system. If you upgrade into F, you should be able to use the Alaska Boardroom in LAX, but you are correct there is no lounge access when on non-OW metal. But I find Alaska to very good by domestic US standards, even Y. Between LAX-SEA, they used to do special catering services at certain times of the day, and I remember getting full meals as on a long-haul BA flight in economy, an extended drink service including alcohol and more. (And this on a relatively cheap, domestic 2-hour hop!) IIRC, it was called the Sunset Service, or something similar. The Alaska FAs have always been the picture of friendliness in my experience. That and the scenary always makes for a good flight.

Is it realistic to drive from McMinnville up to Seattle? Anything else I should check out in Seattle?
The drive is very realistic and very easy: after Portland a straight shoot up I-5 takes you right under downtown Seattle. About 5 hours maximum. From Portland itself the drive is about 3-4 houirs depending on conditions.

Seattle is not Paris or London, but there is plenty to see and do. The natural surrounds and scenary is stunning, people very friendly and relaxed, wonderful seafood and great restaurants tucked away (and not requiring reservations 14 years in advance). Take a ferry ride as the sun is setting for a gorgeous sight of the glittering skyline. Buy fresh fish at the old Pike Place market. Take in a symphony at the beautiful Benaroya Hall. Take a bike ride around Mercer Island. Be a true tourist and go to the Space Needle, where they also have a rotating restaurant (that serves bland yet over-priced food). Go to the Jemi Hendricks Experience, which all the locals seem to despise (I like it, but then Seattle has never been much for bold architectural statements). Visit the Boeing plant in Everett (about 30-45 minutes north on I-5) and the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (which has a BA Concorde). Spend a day hiking on the glaciers of Mount Ranier. There's plenty to do if you look...

If you have at least a week to spare, you might also consider driving up the Pacific coast, along the Pacific Coast Highway, which in my experience ranks as amoung the most beautiful and scenic drive in the world. I did it as follows:
Day 1: Los Angeles-Santa Barbara (spent the day)
Day 2: Santa Barbara-Monterey (stopped at Hearst Castle)
Day 3: Monterey-San Francisco (spent two nights)
Day 5: Frisco-Stinson Beach (great road for a Z8, Modena, Vanquish; spent part of day in Marin and hanging out where the rich hippies live)
Day 6: Stinson Beach-Eureka (spent some time in the redwoods)
Day 7: Eureka-Cannon Beach (spent lots of time in the redwoods)
Day 8: Cannon Beach-Seattle

You can shorten it of course, but there's plenty to see along the way, with breathtaking remoteness and coastline until Monterey, lots of little sweet towns north of Frisco, cathedral-like forests and heavenly coasts further north. Really worth the trip.