FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for Visiting Boeing Factory/Museum of Flight/Spruce Goose
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:09 am
krug
Suspended

Tips for Visiting Boeing Factory/Museum of Flight/Spruce Goose

I will be off to LAX in F on a redemption this summer, and just trying to figure out my internal flight plan.

I will probably spend the weekend with friends in LA, and then fly up north.

Keen to avoid the traffic and hassle of LAX, so trying to fly out of SAN (san Diego) or ONT (Ontario, CA) , and plan to fly either to SEA or Portland, Oregon which I understand is the closest major airport to where the Spruce Goose is www.sprucegoose.com.

I am Silver with United until the end of 2005, so keen to book pre-demotion to enable E+ seating if I fly United, but also interested to know whether you believe it worthwhile foregoing E+ and travelling Y on Alaska or even upgrading to F on the Alaska/AA codeshare (which I understand is 150% BA miles but no TPs or lounge access, even on AA codeshare).

How far is McMinnville from Portland, Oregon, (time-wise) and is there anything else to see in the vicinity? Suggestions on where to stay ($150-$200 range per night).

Is it realistic to drive from McMinnville up to Seattle? Anything else I should check out in Seattle?

I will be flying on AS SEA-PSP one way, drive to LAS (ovoiding the overpriced car rental firms in LAS) and then a few nights at Wynn and Barry Manilow Concert (there, I am not ashamed!!) before he croaks and back for shops and culture in SFO, probably on TED.

I see from search that Aerotec and ChickenorBeef recently visited, so any input from them would be appreciated.