FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives & Alcohol !!
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:06 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
Yep, your luggage is x-rayed when you enter the country! And any alcohol will be confiscated.

As I mentioned on your Delta board post, you can try to smuggle some hard tack in - it really isn't difficult if you have dive gear. But the customs officials are obviously used to all the standard ruses and are especially diligent about hand luggage. I have seen countless ill-informed arriving passengers being relieved of their duty free packages.

I prefer to just accept that there is a high tax on booze in the Maldives and make peace with it. It also pays to adjust your choices. I drink beer when I'm there - it's much cheaper and anyway more thirst quenching in the tropics. Wine, my usual tipple of choice, is excruciatingly expensive and often of dubious quality (not surprising given the logistics of getting it there and storing it) so I tend to avoid it. The occasional cocktail, most resorts will feature a cheaper "cocktail du jour" each day, seems appropriate in the setting and soothes feelings of deprivation.

Or, here's a radical thought, you could use the opportunity to dry out.