FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roomette vs Bedroom - is it worth the upgrade?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:04 pm
the_traveler

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Uhh... you mean Heritage? There have never been revenue Amfleet sleepers (though Amtrak's business car has bedrooms and is a converted Amfleet).
Yes, I think I may have meant Heritage. But I think the single/double slumbercoachs were in fact before they were called Heritage - maybe in the 70's and 80's. I took them between NYP and Florida.

The description of the location of the toilet, sink, etc... in the viewliner roomettes is very similar to the location of them in the slumbercoachs, in fact identical. On viewliners recently, I have only been in a handicapped bedroom, so I was not aware of the roomette layout.

I find a single level coach acceptable for 1 night (hopefully the 1st night for that run). What I usually do if I travel from the east coach west is go coach for night #1 (single level), then in Chicago switch to a roomette or bedroom (Superliner) for at least night #2. This helps lower the cost quite a bit. Plus, it allows me to get a good night's sleep prior to arrival.