FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PHL Club - smoking?
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:24 am
Robertsonland

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by us2
As a former frequent visitor to that PHL smoking room, I can assure you that I never saw smoke billowing out when the doors were opened. It was a nice solution to the issue that I thought served the interests of all parties concerned, just as the separate room at DCA once did. Sadly, the CLT club is the last one left at a hub that allows smoking. The secuirty lines in PHL make going outside somewhat problematic -- and I don't relish the idea of having to go up to 15 hours between cigarettes on a trip between LA and Europe. I;ve learned to cope with a steady increase in smoking restrictions, but the whole thing is getting ridiculous -- what ever happened to personal choice in this country?

In any case, the decline of smoking areas in the Clubs was the main reason I dropped my membership and I suspect that I am not alone in that.

As for your sensitivity to the odor of tobacco, my feeling is tough; I don't really care. I've been subjected to all kinds of things I don't like on flights over the years-- from BO to people passing gas to perfume or cologne in quantities sufficient to make you gag, but I accept it as part of what you deal with in a mode of public conveyance. Trust me on this, you'd rather put up with a lingering odor of smoke from me than the crankiness that would ensue from 15 hours without a smoke.
True, I've had to put up with body odor, gas, cologne, etc but there isn't anything that can be done about those, limiting smoking to outside is a way to combat stale smoke smell on clothes. I'm still waiting for mandatory showers before boarding aircraft but oh well. No I'd rather put up with crankiness as I can put on headphones and not pay attention to you but smelling stale smoke is something I can't stop unless I stop breathing and that is pretty important to me.

Also I didn't mean the PHL smoking room on the billowing of smoke as I've never been there when the room was operating. I've seen the LAS Smoking rooms and you have to walk past them quickly as there is quite a bit of smoke outside the room at times. It was more a general statement of closed off rooms. Unless they are constantly sucking the air out and venting it to the outside with a strong push of air when the door opens some escapes. I don't think that small amount is going to kill someone mind you, just it does escape.

As far as what is happening to personal choice...well that is a debate that is well beyond here I'm sure as you have to look at those who do smoke and those who don't and who is "hurt" if there is no smoking and who is "hurt" if there is smoking.

Lance