FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GSO losing Mainline service at end of 2005
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:23 pm
sbtinme

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Post GSO losing Mainline service at end of 2005

Terribly sad news out today from a pal of mine (former PI) who now works at the GSO ATO. He writes that the station manager informed them today that the company has announced that mainline is out in December. (Didn't give specific date, not sure if that's pending or I just don't have all the facts.)

In any case, what a sad day for this proud little station that for decades was a model station for ANY carrier. Many of us can well recall the GSO-DFW nonstops on 727s and GSO-LGA nonstops on 737s numerous times a day. When PI launched service to SFO and LAX, those flights continued from CLT to, where else, GSO!

I can remember seeing no fewer than 10 mainline jets on the ground for the morning bank back in the 1980s and the place ran like a perfectly oiled machine. Others will tell you this is/was(?) the best US club in the system.

I'm just sad to see it all continue to dismantle one more brick at a time.