FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DUB - BRS - DUB with EI
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:31 pm
colmc

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
EI287 DUB-BRS 02/09/05

My return flight after a weekend away. Arrived at BRS about two hours before check-in closed, so I was in plenty of time. The two desks dedicated to EI287 were manned by Servisair Globeground staff, as EI only have one flight a day out of BRS (therefore, no FastPass machines are provided). The queues moved quickly however, and soon I was being checked in. The agent went through all the usual questions, and assigned me seat 5D, which wasn't too bad. At the desk beside me, two elderly ladies were checking in for a flight to JFK, connecting at DUB. The Servisair Globeground agents seemed to be having some trouble getting that to work (evidently, having to check pax through to an onward EI destination doesn't happen often at Bristol!). As I had time to kill, I went out for a smoke and then headed for WH Smiths for a book.

Security was busy, but the queue moved quickly and was scanned and given a pat down (I made it beep again..obviously not my weekend!) in no time. Didn't seem to be much to do at BRS so I went to gate 5 where our flight was scheduled to leave from Settled down to read my book and waited it out. Plenty of EZY and BA flights called to various destinations. As time was getting close, no plane was to be seen – I had a funny feeling we were about to encounter another delay! Sure enough, a little later a delay was called – the flight was now not leaving until 14.45 instead of 14.10. However, not long after that an XLA flight was called, having been delayed since 07.30 – so I didn't have it that badly off! Went to the bar for a sparkling water and some Pringles (all I could handle!) and waited for the inbound plane. It arrived at the newly appointed time, and we were boarding within 20 minutes. Again it was a new A320 with leather seats. However, boarding was a free for all this time, with people boarding from the front and back, with people from the back trying to get to the front, and vice versa. Why Servisair Globeground thought this was a good idea, I don't know. The flight was about 80% full, but again I struck it lucky and had no passenger in 5E, giving the pax in 5F and I a bit of extra room. Safety procedures were a little better this time, but not exactly delivered with anything that could be called life. Monotone throughout. We pushed back and taxied pretty quickly and were up in the air without delay.

With no interest in the Skycafe this time, I began to doze off a little. We encountered some turbulence over the west coast of the U.K., and again over the Irish coast (with a considerable drop, bringing forth gasps from some passengers!). Our landing at DUB wasn't too bad though, but alas we were arriving back at the dreaded A-pier. Disembarkation was via those stairs again, and we headed into the crowds awaiting their flight. Had a walk to immigration (where a man stamping non-EU passenger passports just shouted “Anyone with an EU passport just go through” - don't you just love the strict checks?). Got to baggage reclaim to find out bags scheduled to come out at belt 3 – the far end of the hall. Belt 3 was already crowded with a EI flight in from LHR awaiting their bags. The baggage hall at DUB is one of my least favourite places on earth. Lack of light, low-ceilings, and no air conditioning (on clammy days like Sunday) make it really unpleasant. Twenty minutes later, our bags began to come out on Belt 4 along with those from FR507, in from Bristol also. After that, I escaped and went home.