FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minor Rant: LGA staff continue to not understand standby rules
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:17 pm
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Minor Rant: LGA staff continue to not understand standby rules

I fly US-operated, UA codeshares from LGA fairly often. The UA fare rules on these flights always claims, "Same day standby permitted free of charge."

My most recent experience: Since there was no one at my gate, I stopped by a random gate whose agent wasn't busy and asked to be added to standby for the earlier RDU flight, which the agent took care of without a problem. I went to visit the US Air Club, and on the way back out, asked the agent at the desk if she could see if I'd cleared my standby request, which she said she could do easily.

After typing away for a moment, she said, "That will be $100." I sometimes expect the $25 fee to be requested, and I pointed out that my fare rules were UA and allowed free same-day standby. She said, "Your fare rules say $100 for changes."

I argued that (a) this wasn't a change, just standby, and was (b) free by the fare rules and (c) that I did this all the time. She said that I would be taking a "big chance" that the GA would refuse to print the BP if I didn't pay and advised me to pay "before going to the gate." I argued a little more and then just said, "Fine, I'll just stay on my regular flight."

Of course, the GA immediately gave me my BP, no additional questions asked. How hard is it to be somewhat consistent on something as simple as standby? I'm around 50% in terms of finding an agent at LGA who can do so, though.