FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speeding Ticket help in BC
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:48 am
B1

It's annoying to get these things but the best advice I got was from the lawyer at the CAA - if you are a member they have a lawyer who can give advice - you should get some. I got a ticket from the Mohawk Tribal Police in New York when we were driving beyond the boundaries of their reserve but they were playing with their radar. They were going in the other direction but pointed out that they had highly accurate radar for either direction (they did). They got me doing 58 mph in a 55 mph zone. My speedometer is metric and there is no way to make such a distinction. They were having a good time laughing in their car and lectured me about the dangers of speeding while admitting that they do it themselves. They held me for quite a while. When I got home, I called the CAA as to how to deal with it. They told me to write a note to the court explaining the circumstances and my view that they were inaccurate. The court reduced the ticket to "failure to obey a traffic device," which carries no demerit points in Canada. But it still cost $120 US. As a by-the-way, I wrote to the governor of New York about how they treat visitors from Canada. He contacted the head of the State Police Division. The police head called me - he said the governor had called him - and apologized - said the Mohawks should not be writing tickets off the reserve except in an emergency and they were playing with their new radar. Then the chief of the Mohawk Police called me and apologized and told me he had taken the car away from the guys who were playing with the radar. But a ticket is a ticket and he can't change it. They get no revenue themselves.

Last edited by B1; Aug 10, 2005 at 5:51 am