FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - stuck in elevator for 2.5 hours, what's appropriate compensation?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:00 pm
clarkef

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by gofly
A friend of mine stayed in Hilton during this weekend for 2 nights. He and his wife and other hotel customers (total 11 peoples) were stucked in the elevator for almost 2 and half hours because of elevator problem. Although this happended on Saturday, I was surprised it would take 2 and half hours to fix this problem and open elevator door. Some guests apparently were very anxious and nervous during that period. One guest even urinated because of long lockup time. The manager offered one night free of charge as compensation. Do you think it's appropriate for my friend to ask for both nights free? Thanks for your opinions/suggestions.
I think a free night and a meal sounds reasonable. I understand why some would want the compensation to depend on what was missed, but I don't think that is fair. All 11 people in the elevator were similarly inconvenienced, and should be compensated equally. I think the stress of being in an elevator, standing, with the smell of urine, for 2 1/2 hours is a definite detriment, particularly if you have some nervous types which cause the anxiety level to increase.