FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - stuck in elevator for 2.5 hours, what's appropriate compensation?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:58 pm
kawoh

hilton SF

Hi - A few years ago, I was stuck in a lift for about 2 hours at the Hilton San Francisco, Downtown. We went up the tower 3 (infamous!, at the time the older part, unrenovated rooms) elevators, and I kind of felt uncomfortable getting in as I remember I saw another lift earlier in the week saying closed for servicing. Anyway - one night we decided to go up to the gym. Quite far up, the lift stops.... We were locked in there for about 2 hours or just over that. Initially the hotel tried to resolve it internally, after about 1 hr or even just over, they decided to call the lift management. In all this process I was very amenible and thought it was kind of fun and would be a memorable addition to a fun trip! The funniest thing (but loud!) was the alarm in the lift as soon as it stopped just kept on ringing, and ringing and ringing, for the WHOLE time!. We brought our cameras and snapped and even recorded some video of the whole experience!

Anyhow, they eventually got us out - constantly called us on the elevator phone to see if we were OK. As we got out the lift literally SNAPPED SHUT behind us, just as well we got out! Phew!. The hotel security was there checking if we were OK... and then took us to the gym which we wanted to check out and then walked us back to the hotel room (via the walkway which is on the same level through tower 2 back to our tower the taller tower 1 instead of taking lifts again!).

He promised us a meal - unlimited, for both of us at cityscapes - which is at the top of tower 1. In a private corner booth (and boy - the views were spectacular). We ended up spending about $300 on the meal. We still generously tipped the waitress who was at our call with $70 even though we had the meal for free. During the day before the dinner, we were contacted by the Hotel GM, sincerely apologising and they offered us a free night (which was about US$200). And a bowl of fruits and wine in the room.

Completely unexpected, but amazing. I think they were worried we would sue them for false imprisonment! But we were completely gracious and kind of liked the whole experience, the gifts were just a bonus and were not asked for!

Last edited by kawoh; Jun 25, 2005 at 11:06 pm