FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - City of HopeŽ Walk for Hope
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:01 pm
satori

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by XStAnt
I agree with others that this is a worthwhile cause to donate money. I'm wondering if it makes sense economically to register for this many walks.

If you register for 8 walks it will cost $400 (8x$25x2=$400). That gets you 80,000 points which will get you two nights at a category 6 hotel. That's $200/night.

How many hotels are people staying in where you are getting rates more than $200/night for a base level room? I realize there are those hotels out there, but I've found that with careful planning many places run "specials" or promotions that lower the rates. I'm just wondering if everyone who is signing up for multiple walks has thought about the economics.

The Amsterdam Hilton has pointstretchers in July and December. This is a Category 5 property meaning it costs 35,000 points for a regular award night. It is 21,000 points for a pointstretcher night. A Priceline bid will run about $170/night for the Amsterdam Hilton. A bargain rate will run about $190-220/night. A Priceline bid for a 4* AMS hotel will come in at about $100/night on average.

I always receive an upgrade at the Hilton which runs about $300-400/night. So for me, these walks are giving me the points to get an upgraded award room in Amsterdam for $100, the same cost and without the uncertainty of a Priceline bid for a regular hotel room in Amsterdam.