FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let's not emotions get in the way of looking at a HP/US merger
Old May 12, 2005, 1:23 pm
GotCalcio4

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ibdsux
I don't oppose this merger based upon emotion, though I can understand the feelings of many of the AWA employees. I have reservations because AWA is one of the few large (Over $2bln in sales) corporations we have based here in AZ and I'd like to see it survive. I've read many entries on the US board, it seems to be an airline chock full of crappy management and bitter employees. Even if Parker's team injects a fresh perspective, two (sometimes more) decades of animosity do not simply vanish overnight. It just boggles my mind that one of the most successful spawns of deregulation would want to saddle itself with this dinosaur. The combined company will be back in BK court within a few years, and will then likely be forced into the arms of one of the big boys on the cheap. There goes my hometown airline.

Remember, in all likelihood, the headquarters of the merged airline would be in Phoenix, not in CCY.

I'm not sure I understand the "decades" of animosity you mention. There used to be excellent morale in most US employees. The mid 90s were a great time for USAir, and even as recent as just before 9/11 employees weren't in the same mindset as they are now.